The arts play a major role at Faith Christian School. Students at all grade levels are encouraged to learn and refine their artistic abilities as a reflection of their creative God and as a learning tool with so many wonderful benefits
The ABCs of Arts Learning
The benefits of student learning experiences in the arts are:
Learning experiences in the arts contribute to the development of academic skills, including the areas of reading and language development, and mathematics
• Reading and Language Skills - Certain forms of arts instruction enhance and complement basic reading skills, language development and writing skills.
• Mathematics Skills - Certain types of music instruction help develop the capacity for spatial-temporal reasoning, which is integral to the acquisition of important mathematics skills
Arts learning experiences contribute to the development of certain thinking, social and motivational skills that are considered basic for success in school, work and life
• Thinking Skills - Reasoning ability, intuition, perception, imagination, inventiveness, creativity, problem-solving skills and expression are among the thought processes associated with study of the arts.
• Social Skills - Certain arts activities promote growth in positive social skills, including self-confidence, self-control, conflict resolution, collaboration, empathy and social tolerance.
• Motivation to Learn - The arts nurture a motivation to learn by emphasizing active engagement, disciplined and sustained attention, persistence and risk taking, among other competencies.
Learning in the arts is comprehensive in the true sense of the word: All three common definitions are applicable. Integration of the arts as a critical component of the school curriculum affords students a complete and well-rounded education. The benefits associated with study of the arts are inclusive of all students, although they can be greatest for those who are educationally or economically disadvantaged. And, an arts-rich learning environment can have far-reaching effects that extend to the entire school and surrounding community.
• Positive School Environment - The arts help create the kind of learning environment conducive to teacher and student success by fostering teacher innovation, a positive professional culture, community engagement, increased student attendance, effective instructional practice and school identity.
That is why Faith Christian offers:
Elementary students (K-6th grades) are offered vocal music and performance, fine art, and crafts at all grade levels. Instrumental music including band and strings, choir, and drama are offered beginning at fourth grade.
Secondary students (7th-12th grades) choose from a variety of elective courses including concert band, advanced band, choir and fine art. Students perform in two band concerts and art shows per year in addition to various local outreach performances. Art shows usually coincide with the band concerts
Student worship teams include musicians and vocalists from our junior. high and high school classes who lead worship at weekly chapels
Source: To learn more about the benefits of Fine Arts in education view this NASAA brochure